ABOUT EL JADIDA
Known for its remarkable "Portuguese City", a UNESCO heritage site, the fortifications of the Portuguese city with their bastions and ramparts are an early example of Portuguese military architecture during the Renaissance.
The Portuguese buildings still visible are the Portuguese cistern, the Mazagan fortress and the Church of the Assumption built in the Manueline style.
Located 96 km from Casablanca with a growing population of 214,000, it is one of the developing cities in the tourist sector which attracts more and more local and foreign visitors thanks to its geographical location by the ocean.
El Jadida is the current name (since 1815) of the old Mazagão (Mazagan), the fortified city built by the Portuguese in the early 16th century, which was not taken over by the Moroccans until 1769.
The Portuguese built this fortified city with five bastions. Only four still remain today.
This vast underground vaulted room of the Portuguese Cistern was part of the fortified castle. It served as a weapons room before being used as a water reservoir.
Besides the beautiful, pleasant and calm beaches of the town, to the south and north of El Jadida there are other seasonal tourist destinations, the best known of which are Sidi Bouzid beach and Haouzia beach
The city of El Jadida has two ports which make it a city oriented outwards. The port of El Jadida in the city centre is reserved for fishing, pleasure boats and water sports and the port of Jorf Lasfar, 17 km south of the city is the principal mineral port in Africa.
Open to international trade since 1982, the port of Jorf Lasfar is one of the major links in Morocco’s port infrastructure.
Sign In to publish a review